Friday, February 19, 2010

Olympics 2004 Carrying the Torch by Patrick




This entire experience has been just so amazing. When I was first nominated back in August I wasn’t exactly sure what it all meant. I was so taken back by all the friends and family that wrote to Coke Cola about my story and that they said I was an inspiration to them. As the days drew closer and closer I started to realize what a great honor it was to be a part of something so inspiring as the Olympics. I began to meet and hear stories of other nominated Torch bearers and the strength that they had to overcome such great odds. I love being around people with that type of spirit. It helps me to realize that amazing miracles are more common than we all think and that God is in complete control of our lives.

As all Americans pulled together after the attacks of September 11th, I began to take on another pride in carrying the Torch. To see our nation pull together and come back even stronger through great odds was so uplifting and encouraging. It is the same mind set of anyone who goes through a difficult situation in their lives, and chooses to press on.

The evening of carrying the torch, my dad and I drove down Hillcrest Rd. on our way to downtown Dallas, where I was to run. The streets were lined with kids holding American flags, families all together cheering and awaiting the torchbearers that were to come through in the next hour. My heart started to pick up in beats and I couldn’t help but smile. As we got to City Hall we were greeted by the committee and other Torchbearers for the downtown area. We all got to know each other so fast. There was just such a common bond that was felt between each of us. As the hour drew closer we loaded on the bus that was to take us to our designated running spot. The sun had gone down and the lights of Downtown Dallas shined so bright.

On the bus about 14 of us all laughed and shared more stories and just basically pumped each other up for the 200 meters we were all about to either run, jog, walk and or ride in a wheel chair. As the bus would pull up to each drop off spot a torch bearer would stand up and everyone on the bus would cheer for them. As my time arrived my heart was so overwhelmed. They called my name and as I walked off the bus I saw so many friends and family that has supported me through my life and many new faces that were there to cheer on America. They were all there waving flags, signs and cheering so proudly. I was then handed my Torch and was lead to the center on the street to await the flame. As the man in a wheel chair approached me with his lit Torch, I walked over to him and leaned our torches together and the flame was lit. As soon as I saw the flame on my torch I began to jog down Central Expressway at Elm street, the heart of downtown Dallas.

That moment was one of the proudest moments in my life because by the grace of God I was alive to carry it. I knew I was there to represent those whose battle had ended as well as those still in their battle. Carrying that Torch to me was a celebration of life.

Having cancer wasn't the reason I carried the Torch. To me, it was rather the fight and willingness to never give up, and focusing on His will and the joy He provides through any situation.
I prayed I was representing the spirit of many others and I will cherish that moment in time forever.

No comments: